The Summer Palace was originally (1750) named the Garden of Clear Ripples and was burnt down by the allied forces of Great Britain and France in 1860. It was rebuilt in 1895, and named Yi He Yuan (Garden of Good Health and Harmony).
Longevity Hill was created out of the artificial Kunming Lake. 290 hectares with 3,000 buildings and bays created a summer retreat for the royals. Two features of note are a marble boat and the Long Corridor, longest in the world with columns and ceiling painted with 1000 scenes. It was burnt again by Russian, British and Italian troops in 1900.